Sanskrit in scientific terminology

schopra at cabler.cableregina.com schopra at cabler.cableregina.com
Thu Sep 12 23:24:09 UTC 1996

Paul:  It is not neccessary to reinvent technical terms which are in common
use, I feel we should use the terms as they are.  Phone is a phone in most
languages.  Boron is Boron, and so it should be in Sanskrit.  English is a
great language because it has borrowed freely from all languages.  What
would a menu look like if translated into true English, very boring.  Cafe
au Lait expresses better than anything.  A la carte, you couldnot improve on
that.  Taxi in Sanskrit should be nothing but a taxi. Helllo, becomes, ello
in french but the spelling remains the same.  Why not we think of importing
words in Sanskrit.  No pure language exists.  At one time Sanskrit must have
borrowed from the great Dravidian languages which pre-existed in India when
Sanskrit arrived.  No wonder the language grew - alchemy of mixing languages
gives more more powerful communication tools.  Unless we can improve, let us
borrow .. words in Sanskrit.  Of course there are incredible words that can
be created by adding prefixes and suffixes which exist in Sanskrit.  aqueous
and anaqueous, wonder wondertum and maybe anwondertum .. we can explode the
language ... maybe import those words into other languages and we have an
explosion of ideas not just words.  Maybe we start to create superlanguages
.. Let us get creative ... and get away from pure languages, there are none
... they are dead.  Let us create a million new words.