Scripts

Abt. f. Indologie indobib at indoger.unizh.ch
Thu Sep 12 15:14:05 UTC 1996

I would agree with Lars Martin Fosse concerning the language of Indology:
If we want to be understood by all, we must use English (or Sanskrit and
perhaps Hindi). But we cannot dismiss the fact, that French and German
are important languages for the Indology and that anyone who is not able
to understand them will not have access to certain important books.
So is just for example the still completest dictionary from Sanskrit to an
European language the Petersburger Woerterbuch (I do not think that any
of us will live to see the Poona-Dictionary reaching the end of the
vowels...) and it is Sanskrit-German.

With kind regards

Andreas Bigger, Zuerich