milk, taste and eloquence

Francois Quiviger francois at sas.ac.uk
Tue Sep 10 09:58:36 UTC 1996

Dear Indologists,

	Sorry to interrupt the useful exchange on pc fonts with an
amateurish question. Part of my research deals with the use of the five
senses in Christian though and imagery, especially taste, touch and smell.
I am at present studying the theme of the lactation of Saint Bernard, an
apocryphal legend which appeared from the 12th century onwards, less than
a hundred years after Bernard's death, and spread throughout Christianity.
In a vision the Virgin Mary herself pressed her breast to give some of her
milk to saint Bernard. There are many versions, texts and images; in some
it is a statue of the Virgin, rather than the Virgin herself, who sends
her milk; some versions of the legend mention three drops, while images,
from the 13th to the 17th century, tend to show a continuous jet of milk
directed to the saint's lips. In the traditional interpretation the scene
stands as an expression of the divine eloquence bestowed upon Bernard who
was acclaimed as a defender of the Virgin.

I am not trying to track down influences, but would like to know if the
story, or rather the ideas on which it is based, appear only in the West.
I know that the statues of Hindu gods have swallowed rather than projected
milk, but I would be very curious to know if stories similar to Saint
Bernard's lactation have ever circulated in Hindu literature. If so how
was the taste and meaning of milk described? How distinct is it from cow
milk?

		My anticipated thanks for any suggestion.

		Francois Quiviger
		Warburg Institute
		University of London