None

Girish Beeharry gkb at ast.cam.ac.uk
Mon Sep 9 14:04:46 UTC 1996

Hi,

>The smart alphabetical arrangement also does not originate from
>Devanagari but from the mind of the ancient linguists who, as has been
>quoted from Staal (I do not think it is something provocative, I always
>thought it was obvious and commonly held), were able to carry out such an
>abstract analysis thanks to not being mislead by script, as they operated
>directly with the sound of the language. All the scripts consequently
>inherited this alphabetical arrangement deviced _for the language_

The interesting bit is, of course, the lack of proper treatment of the sounds
themselves, and the various symbolisms associated with them, in Western
universities. While I don't know why this is the case, the result is that
people, educated in the west, tend to think of Sanskrit/Vedic as just another
language.

For instance, if one knows/assumes/believes that, say, the sound 'ra' is the
biija mantra for the  agni tatva, AND one can pronounce its properly, one would
probably see the raamaayaNa in a different perspective.

As a physicist, I am a bit influenced by the primary importance of experiments;
however, the establishment in Indology would perhaps think that one should stay
'aloof' from the language in order to study it 'properly'. I believe some
famous Dutch Indologist said something about students, showing too much
interest in what they were studying, being 'lost to scholarship'...

I am sure the paNDita-s have many things to say on this issue.

Bye,

Girish Beeharry