Sarasvati River Project: Research Scheme

MDSAAA48 at GIASMD01.VSNL.NET.IN MDSAAA48 at GIASMD01.VSNL.NET.IN
Thu Sep 5 07:28:29 UTC 1996

The Indus Sarasvati Research Centre has been asked by the Ministry of Water
Resources to submit a project proposal for preliminary studies related to
the revival of the sacred Sarasvati river.

Attached is a preliminary draft response which we propose to submit. Dr.
Sivarajasingham, ex-FAO expert in hydrology, geology has provided great
assistance in drafting this; this is the first draft subject to further
revisions.

The basic theme of the proposal is not to recreate the Sarasvati lakes; but
to hold the waters of the (would-be perennial) river underground and to
foster a comprehensive, and integrated development plan for the
north-western region served by the river.

We would deem it a privilege to receive your comments and suggestions so
that we can incorporate them in the proposal. The proposal should include
components related to archaeology and culural-linguistic studies; any
suggestions in this regard are welcome.

Looking forward to your early response.

Best regards. Kalyanaraman.
Indus Sarasvati Research Centre,
19 Temple Avenue #4, Srinagar Colony, Saidapet, Madras 600015, India
Tel. +91 44 2354640; 4936288; 4935871; Fax. 4996380
email:mdsaaa48 at giasmd01.VSNL.net.in