NEW BOOK: Early Sikh Canon

witzel at husc3.harvard.edu witzel at husc3.harvard.edu
Sun Sep 1 11:36:37 UTC 1996

We  take pleasure in announcing a new book in the

                     HARVARD ORIENTAL SERIES

(ed. M. Witzel):

                            Vol. 51

The Goindval Pothis: The Earliest Extant Source of the Sikh Canon.

                     by Gurinder Singh Mann

   pp. XIV + 219

   [with 18 plates including 16 photos of the mss.]

   ISBN 0-674-35618-7,   Price $ 35.00 (hard cover)

*  For further details (also ordering) please look up the HOS entry via my
homepage:

                     www.fas.harvard.edu/~witzel/mwpage.htm

   After the recent publication of a reconstitution of the earliest
Indian text, the Rgveda, in HOS vol. 50, this volume deals with the
earliest available version of the Sikh canon.

   It contains the first critical description and partial edition of the
Goindval Pothis, a set of proto-scriptural manuscripts prepared in the
1570s. The manuscripts also contain a number of hymns by non-Sikh saints,
some of them not found elsewhere.

   Through a meticulous analysis of the contents of these rare
manuscripts, G.M. Singh establishes their place and importance in the
history of Sikh canon formation.

   The book will be of great interest to scholars of comparative canon
studies and of medieval Indian literature.

                                -----