beauty of Bhiima

thillaud at unice.fr thillaud at unice.fr
Sun Oct 27 13:35:20 UTC 1996

Dear Indologists,
        Few time ago, as I was saying Bhiima is beautiful, some scholars
objected: 'Bhiima is NOT beautiful'. But, using memory and Pr. Tokunaga's
index, I've found this two passages (restored from the Poona's printed
edition):

        When Hidimbaa falls in love with him (I, 139, 13-14):
dRSTvaiva bhiimasenam saa zaalaskandhamivodgatam |
raakSasii kaamayaamaasa ruupeNaapratimaM bhuvi ||
ayaM zyaamo mahaabaahuH siMhaskandho mahaadyutiH |
kambugriivaH puSkaraakSo bhartaa yukto bhavenmama ||

        When Viraata don't believe he's a cook (IV, 7, 6):
na suudataaM maanada zraddadhaami te sahasranetrapratimo hi dRzyase |
zriya ca ruupeNa ca vikrameNa ca prabhaasi taataanavaras nareSviha ||

        It seems to me they refer clearly to a great corporal beauty. Wrong ?
Do you know other passages (except in battle's furor) where he's not beautiful ?
Or his ugliness an oral or pictural tradition ?
        On an other hand, I'm unable to find his hair's color (and
Arjuna's). Do know it someone ?
Best thanks,

Dominique Thillaud - Universite de Nice - Sophia Antipolis
email : thillaud at unice.fr