Safdar Hashmi

Hueckstedt hueckst at cc.UManitoba.CA
Thu Oct 17 21:05:44 UTC 1996

I am not the best person to answer this question, i.e., what happened to
Safdar Hashmi, but I do know a little. I happened to meet him briefly, in
the summer of 1988, a few months before he was killed.
The story I heard was along these lines.

It was during the campaign for elections to, I think, the Delhi municipal
corporation. Safdar and his troupe were putting on a street play that was
critical of the Congress (I) person running in that campaign. In the
middle of the day, I don't know where exactly, while the street play was
going on, Safdar Hashmi was gunned down and killed. As I understand it,
this was not a matter of communalism or artistic over-sensitivity. It was
simply "power" politics. He is memorialized briefly, along with many
others, at the end of the fine documentary on Punjab called _In Memory of
Friends_. Also,
there is now an NGO, I believe, or some such organization, that uses his
name, the Safdar Hashmi Memorial Trust. I may have the name all wrong.
The Hindi writers whose works I translate knew him very well.

Bob Hueckstedt

Robert A. Hueckstedt, Associate Professor of Indic Languages
Asian Studies Centre, 328 Fletcher Argue, University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2 Canada
http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/arts/asian_studies
fax 1 204-275-5781 phones 1 204-474-8964, 1 204-488-4797