Baring the shoulder (Was: New Message)

Allen Thrasher athr at loc.gov
Wed Oct 2 17:54:30 UTC 1996

One might more widely say that in general it is an ancient India custom to
uncover the upper body in front of superiors, including deities.  Thus in
many temples men must uncover the entire upper body.  In South India
(Kerala, I believe) earlier in this century this became a matter of
considerable turmoil when Christian Untouchable women were urged by the
clergy to wear bodices but the brahmins objected to their uppitiness in
keeping covered before their superiors.

Allen W. Thrasher

The opinions expressed do not represent those of my employer.