The word "upanishad"

phijag at zelacom.com phijag at zelacom.com
Sat Nov 30 16:10:04 UTC 1996

Sankara derives it as a substantive from the root "sad" = "to loosen", "to
reach", "to destroy" with upa and ni as prefixes and the kvip as termination
(upanishhannam va asyam param shreya iti - gloss on Taitt. Up. The word
"upanishad" thus means "the knowledge by which ignorance is loosened or
destroyed."
John