Hindi etc.

gail at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu gail at utxvms.cc.utexas.edu
Thu Nov 28 18:44:49 UTC 1996

The opposition to Hindi in the South is not limited only to 'DMK-type
politicos who use that as a vote-generating issue', and its not just old
stuff. I've spent most of my life in Tamil Nadu and always felt that
people generally didn't want a language *imposed* on them for *any*
political reason. They use whatever language is most convenient, and it
just happens that there isn't much reason to know Hindi in Tamil Nadu,
while there's *lots* of reason to know English and Tamil. So people who
like watching films on TV pick up some Hindi through TV, and some people
learn it if they plan to go North for jobs, but not many learn it
otherwise. (Also, English speaking children in Tamil Nadu who are not
fluent in Tamil sometimes choose Hindi for their second language school
requirement, because they see it as 'easier' to learn.).

I taught for a year in an English medium school in Gudalur (Tamil Nadu)
where the students were all Malayalam and Tamil mother tongue speakers,
and struggled to learn enough English to do well in the 10th grade exam.
The school offered both Hindi and Tamil for the second language
requirement, but *nobody* chose to study Hindi -- yet they were willing to
struggle to learn English!

It isn't true (in my experience) that Hindi/Urdu is generally better
understood than English in the south.

Gail Coelho