Janaka's vision - many thanks

J. Kingston Cowart jkcowart at io-online.com
Wed Nov 27 21:03:47 UTC 1996

Hello--and thank you,

I am grateful for the assistance I received from members of both the
Indology and Sanskrit lists re: Janaka's vision of himself as a beggar
and the Yoga Vaisistha.

For those interested in this topic, Mantralaura has advised:

>Here are a few titles of books regarding
>Yoga VashiShTha that are currently in the
>Arsha Vidya collection:

>Essence of Yoga VashiShTha - (tr.) Samvid
>Laghu Yoga VasiShTha of Abhinanda - K.N. Aiyer (tr.)
>Stories From Yoga-VasiShTha - Sw. Siivaananda
>Supreme Yoga: Yoga VasiShTha - Sw. Venkatesaananda
>VasiShTha's Yoga - Sw. Venkatesaananda

<If you contact the Book Dept. at the Gurukulam,
>I'm sure you can obtain more detailed information
>and prices.  Their phone number is (717) 992-2339
>or FAX (717) 992-7150 or e-mail: ARSHA at epix.net
>or ARSHA at peach.epix.net

Furthermore, Dominik Wujast is quite correct that the
understanding at which Janaka ultimately arrives is presented in

        Venekatesananda, S.* The Concise Yoga Vasistha*.
           Albany, NY: State University of New York Press, 1984 (pp. 164ff);

and also that in this presentation--in which the power of reflection is
stressed--no vision occurs.

The "vision version" is said to be in the complete work, which
has been published in three English editions:

  1) Venekatesananda, S.  *Yogavasistharamayana. - The Supreme Yoga:
            A New Translation*  Foreword by H.H. Swami Ranganathananda.
            1st ed.  2 vols.  Cape Town, S.A.: Chiltern Yoga Trust, 1976.
            (2 leaves of col. plates : ill. ; 21 cm.  3000 copies.)

  2)  ---------.  *Yogavasistharamayana*.  Western Australia: Chiltern
            Yoga Trust, 1981.

  3) ----------.  *Vasistha's Yoga*.   Albany, NY: State University of New
            York Press, 1984.

Edition #3 may be purchased from Amazon.com ($49.95).  Amazon also
has

        O'Flaherty, Wendy D.  *Dreams, Illusions, and Other Realities*.
            Chicago: University of Chicago. 1984

a book Roy Perrett suggests may deal with the vision, as well.  Amazon
sells this for $24.95.

For those in the San Diego area, Venekatesananda # 1) is available at the
SDSU library (stacks);  #2) at the UCSD library (SRLF); and O'Flaherty
may be found in the stacks at both locations.

Best wishes and many thanks to all,

J. Kingston Cowart
San Diego, California
<jkcowart at io-online.com>