i[...] c[...] (I thought it was banned?...)

Narayan S. Raja raja at galileo.IFA.Hawaii.Edu
Tue Nov 19 22:02:05 UTC 1996

On Tue, 19 Nov 1996, Robert Zydenbos wrote:

> communication. To ask an utterly crude, blunt and crucial question: yes, one
> can say "caay denaa" at any Indian railway station and actually get tea. So
> what? At Miraj station (N.B.: southern Maharashtra) a northerner one time did
> just this at a tea stall. The attendant just stared at the man. Then I asked
> for tea, in Kannada; I got my tea first, and then the northerner (oh! another

It's quite possible that you were
served first because you are a foreigner,
and that too, speaking an Indian
language.  (You might have been
served first even if you had said
"chaai dena" -- or emitted hoarse cries
suggestive of being parched -- instead
of saying "chhayi ondhu kodtheera").

When one studies a foreign culture
with enthusiasm, there seems to be a
danger of embracing the local prejudices
(which may be viewed with scepticism even
by many local people) and making them
one's own...

All the best,

Raja.