Indigo Trade in India

chattrj at is3.nyu.edu chattrj at is3.nyu.edu
Tue Nov 19 15:30:11 UTC 1996

Need some help with the history of Indigo cultivation and trade in India
(especially Bengal). What is the time period of its flourish and fall? I
know it was beginning to dwindle by the 1860s, after the Indigo Rebellion,
but when exactly did artificial indigo replace the natural version? I'll be
very grateful if anyone can supply any facts/figures on this or lead me to
other sources. I am trying to connect this to the Indigo Rebellion in 19th
century Bengal, particularly the Bengali play _Neeldarpan_ (1959) by
Dinabandhu Mitra.

Thanks.

:Sudipto Chatterjee
New York University
chattrj at is3.nyu.edu
       "[I]t only takes two generations to make anything traditional:
       naturally enough, since that is the sense of tradition as active
       process."                                            --Raymond Williams
          100 Bleecker Street, Apt. #7C, New York, NY 10012
                    Tel: (212) 979-6466  Fax: (212) 998-1855