????Cash Cows for Hindi teachers?????

Satyanad Kichenassamy kichenas at math.umn.edu
Wed Nov 13 16:18:16 UTC 1996

R. Barz' message does sound a little rash.

I can quote quite a few places where you cannot have an intelligent
conversation in any other language than Tamil, except perhaps with
a few people such as employees of the central govt.

Perhaps on a more positive note, one may wonder whether the appropriate
response to the current state of Indian/Indic studies is really to try to
artificially inflate one of the branches of Indology, such as Hindi
studies, thereby promoting division, and perhaps bickering (I hope not),
among the Indology community.

A multi-disciplinary approach, such as suggested by several on this
thread, appears more reasonable.

                                              S. Kichenassamy

[...]