no chair/cash cows

witzel at husc3.harvard.edu witzel at husc3.harvard.edu
Tue Nov 12 04:26:02 UTC 1996

I could not agree more:

>>  The young scholar should be sure to have
    a "cash" language that he or she can teach. <<< (B.Hueckstedt)

Precisely because of this --- and also because <useful secondary>
literature exists in modern S.Asian languages --- I have been insisting,
and we have made it, at long last and not without resistance, a
requirement in our first new graduate study program (since the provisional
one of '84!):

-- that students also learn Hindi/Urdu or another modern S. Asian language.

M. Witzel
Sanskrit & Indian Studies
Harvard U.