Req: "dirty" words in Sanskrit

Hueckstedt hueckst at cc.UManitoba.CA
Fri Nov 1 20:17:31 UTC 1996

One of my beginning Sanskrit students this year asked me today if
Sanskrit had any "dirty" words. As many students who step into my
Sanskrit class assume, especially if they come to Sanskrit from an
interest in the study of religion, she assumed that it couldn't possibly
have any "dirty" words. Ever eager to disabuse students of the idea that
Sanskrit is a language in which only spiritual or religious ideas can be
expressed, I quickly assured her that it did have some such vocabulary.
When asked for an example, I was stumped, red-faced and ashamed of my
ignorance. Any suggestions will be most appreciated.

k.rtaj~natayA saha,
Bob Hueckstedt

Robert A. Hueckstedt, Associate Professor of Indic Languages
Asian Studies Centre, 328 Fletcher Argue, University of Manitoba
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3T 2N2 Canada
http://www.umanitoba.ca/faculties/arts/asian_studies
fax 1 204-261-4483 phones 1 204-474-8964, 1 204-488-4797