overemphasis on magic

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Sat May 25 11:43:57 UTC 1996

	I would be loath to set up a kind of dichotomy between the
presumed Jan Houben mode and the Michael Witzel mode of Indological
scholarship.  I don't believe such a dichotomy exists in reality, let us
say, in Michael's work.  I personally view these two scholarly interests,
textual and theoretical, as complementing each other, rather than as
being exclusive of each other.  If practised exclusive of each other,
both the approaches would be less acceptable.  A textual reconstruction
without answering the question "what does it all mean" would be a dry as
dust exercise, while the high-flying theoretical studies based on
uncritically edited texts and interpretations would be without a
foundation.  In my own personal experience over the past twenty-five
years, however, I have noticed an increasing tendency in the direction of
high-flying theoretical studies, and a decreasing interest in critically
editing texts.  I have myself taken almost twenty years to complete a
critical edition of Shaunakiiyaa Caturaadhyaayikaa (Whitney's
Atharva-Praati"saakhya).  First it took years to gather all the known
manuscripts.  Then it took years to reconstruct the texts, and it took
further years to interpret them.  While it is easy to share the joys of
high-flying theoretical studies with your colleagues and students, I have
found it rather difficult to share the joys of textual reconstructions
and collation of manuscripts.  Therefore, in my own case, there was a
continuous tendency to put the work of the critical edition on the back
burner and let the more theoretical studies go ahead.  But having finally
completed the critical edition of this text, I can say without hesitation
that without such basic work on texts, any theoretical conclusions based
on earlier rather poorly edited versions are rather suspect.
	Jan Houben's concern about diminishing job markets in Indology is
indeed shared by all of us.  However, in my opinion, it has less to do
with the mode of scholarship in Indology than with the relative numbers
of students we serve and the willingness of institutions and governments
to put their resources to serve the needs of such small numbers.  At
Michigan, my courses in Hinduism are over-flowing with students, while
the Sanskrit courses are starving for students.  The deans obviously
would prefer that I teach the courses with high numbers than teach
courses with small numbers.  No problems for teaching Hindi, which
attracts over a hundred students each year from the large immigrant
community.  But the same cannot be said of Tamil or Marathi.  At least in
the US, the future of the jobs lies more with the numbers of students we
serve, rather than with the type of scholarship we produce.  This has
been made absolutely clear to us at Michigan.  The university recently
officially instituted a policy called "Value Centered Management".  In
simple terms, this means that each department must earn its own
salaries.  If teaching Chinese literature does not attract students, then
teach them how to make Chinese chicken.

	Madhav Deshpande