Q: Buddhist/Jain refutation of Hinduism

nas_ng at lms420.jsc.nasa.gov nas_ng at lms420.jsc.nasa.gov
Sat May 11 19:26:16 UTC 1996

5/11/96

    Query: Buddhist/Jain refutation of Hinduism

we see several polemical writings against Jains & Buddhists.
This is one component of priest-peasant alliance proposed by Burton Stein
which successfully drove out these heretic religions.

I want to learn how Buddhism/Jainism refuted Brahmanical Hinduism
in early stages and its evolution? What are the main arguments of
Sramanas for rejecting Vedas? I am intrigued to hear of Buddhist homas.
I have heard these religions preferred prakrits to vedic sanskrit.
Any references will be appreciated.

Thanx,
N. Ganesan
nas_ng at lms420.jsc.nasa.gov