Reference question (Was: Filliozat)

Vidyasankar Sundaresan vidya at cco.caltech.edu
Thu May 9 22:37:23 UTC 1996

Yvette Rosser wrote:

> In his message S. Vidyasankar wrote:
>
> >Isn't "kalanos, the gymnosophist," who went with Alexander, also
supposed to
> have immolated himself?
>
> Perhaps Vidya could provide a textual source for this reference?

Sorry for the delay in responding to this question. I see that the
discussion has progressed in many different lines since this
posting, but for whatever it is worth, here is a reference.

The Invasion of India by Alexander the Great, by J. W. M'Crindle,
AMS Press, New York, 1972.

This has translations from Arrian, Diodorus, Plutarch, Justin and
Q. Curtius. In the introduction, the translator says that according
to Strabo, Kalanos immolated himself at Pasargadai, but Diodorus
puts this incident in Susa. Apparently, Kalanos and Mandanes were
two of the "gymnosophists" who conversed with Alexander and his
generals. According to Plutarch, when Kalanos mounted his funeral
pyre, he predicted Alexander's death in Babylon. Plutarch also
notices ten other gymnosophists who incited one Sabbas (Sambos in
Arrian, ruler of Sindh) to revolt. Alexander captured them and said
he would put to death first the one who answered his questions the
worst and then the rest in order. The ten are supposed to have used
their wit in repartee to save their necks, and Alexander sent them
away with presents.

Other references to Kalanos are found in St. Ambrose's De
Bragmanibus, and in the History of Alexander by
(pseudo?)-Kallisthenes. Six whole chapters in this latter work are
full of Kalanos, Mandanes and the Brahmans, according to M'Crindle.

Zarmanochegas, a native of Bargosa (Baruch?), immolated himself in
Athens in the presence of Augustus Ceaser. Zarmanochegas is taken to
represent the Sanskrit SramaNAcArya, from which follows the
identification of the gymnosophists with Buddhists. The same early
writers however, say that the philosophers whom Alexander met with
were Brahmans. This use of the word "brAhmaNa" seems to be a general
one, to denote all philosophers. Duncker in his "History of
Antiquity" (pp. 422-424) notes that even in Megasthenes, the
Brahmanas and Sramanas were confounded in many places, although it
is clear from Megasthenes that in 300 BC, it was clear that the
Brahmans had the upper hand.

The description of gymnosophists as naked ascetics does not seem to
lend much support for the idea that they were Buddhists. Earlier
European authors seem to have identified almost every reference to
SramaNas as referring to Buddhists. It is more likely that the
gymnosophists were digambara jaina ascetics or maybe avAdhUtas of a
more Brahminical character. Moreover, to the gymnosophists is
attributed the doctrine, "We attempt to know our selves, so that we
may know everything there is." This seems very non-Buddhist in
character, but it might fit in with both Jaina and Brahminical
conceptions of Atman and kevala-jnAna.

S. Vidyasankar

ps. While on the topic of Alexander and Greek references to India,
have there been further developments in the Sandrocottus =
Chandragupta Maurya identification? There have been some recent
attempts by revisionist historians in India to suggest that
Sandrocottus is not the Maurya king, but the Gupta one. Is there a
response to this from more objective historians?