Calculus (was Re: Gymnosophists etc.)

Girish Beeharry gkb at ast.cam.ac.uk
Wed May 8 08:31:36 UTC 1996

Hi,

>The point is that neither was operating in a vacuum and they both knew
>what had been done in previous generation. Tanget calculation,
>area calculation and the relation between them was known earlier,
>for example to Barrow.
That's why I mentioned he was a student of Barrow. I agree they were not
operating in a vacuum but that does not explain everything. They did the leap
from algebra to calculus by themselves.

>various translations done, this too might be ignored with ``there
>is no direct evidence of borrowing''.

If we go into pure speculation then I leave it here and the list can go on with
the usual Indological material.

Bye,

Girish Beeharry