re Kalanos the gymnosophist

c.j.oort at pi.net c.j.oort at pi.net
Mon May 6 17:08:54 UTC 1996

>Replies to msg 05 May 96: indology at liverpool.ac.uk (lusthaus at macalstr.edu)
>
> le> Subject: Re: re Kalanos the gymnosophist
>
> le> One shouldn't conflate the attitudes and activities of
> le> common folk with
> le> that of the intellectual elites. American "artists," e.g.,
> le> typically went
> le> to Paris, not London, to learn their craft. 20th century
> le> French philosophy
> le> is inconceivable without German philosophy (Bergson's
> le> hegelianism; Sartre,
> le> Merleau-Ponty, Levinas, et al. dependent on Husserl,
> le> Heidegger, Neitzsche,
> le> etc.). In the 19th century, e.g., Nietzsche repeatedly
> le> writes that he
> le> preferred French intellectual culture to that of Germany;
> le> etc. etc.
>
>Of course language never was a door that was shut forever and for everyone (our
>Kalanos thread is based on the very assumption of exchange of ideas across
>linguistic / cultural boundaries!). I do maintain that in spite of this, German
>and French philosophy on the whole show different tendencies (cf. e.g. Jean
>Grondin's remarks in his _Der Sinn fuer Hermeneutik_, introduction. Grondin, by
>the way, is neither French nor German but Canadian, like myself) [note, for
>those who know me: all right, I am bi-national]. And the fact remains that
>language can be an enormous hurdle, and India provides excellent examples of
>this. Try to find an Indian colleague who reads any Indian language other than
>his own with a degree of ease, or who reads non-English foreign publications.
>
>The examples which India provides are literally innumerable. Visit an Indian
>university library and count the number of titles dealing with a minor British
>thinker like Bradley, who is virtually unknown just across the water on the
>European mainland. Indian colleagues tend to believe that F.R. Leavis and I.A.
>Richards are the alpha and omega of literary criticism, while European
>colleagues disregard them altogether. An astonishing number of Indian literary
>people (scholars and creative writers) believe that T.S. Eliot is the greatest
>poet of the century, no doubt also because they cannot read the French and
>German contemporaries at whom Eliot must have had more than a close look. The
>list of examples goes on and on.
>
>(As for Nietzsche: we should not take all his statements at their face value.
>Many of them had a polemical and provocative intention.)
>
> le> In fact the lingua franca throughout the world today,
> le> including Europe, is
> le> English (or perhaps one should say "American"), and while
> le> American culture
> le> is exerting its influence internationally, especially among
> le> youth, neither
> le> Berlin nor Delhi are New York.
>
>If we were to vote for a lingua franca for use in INDOLOGY, my own vote would
> [...]
Dear Mr Zydenbos,
I do'nt want to be a nit-picker, but because you mentioned F.R.Leavis I
would like to comment about my experience of taking a degree in English (
I'am a native speaker , however an American) at Leiden University in the
'60's, Leavis was the cat's pyjamas as far as English literary theory was
concerned, eventhough he wrote a very, sometimes grammatically, obscure
English.  Perhaps you are too young to know the impact Leavis had on a
generation of "English " European scholars.  This message only to underline
that we must tread softly with our statements.
Met vriendelijke groeten,
Marianne Oort

C.J. Oort
tel: 31-(0)70-5116960