Nirukta

LGoehler at aol.com LGoehler at aol.com
Sun May 5 09:14:47 UTC 1996

Dear Members,

    a for :MImAMsA-comments and references to :YAska's :Nirukta (which in
some respects close to the grammatical tradition) a good source is D.V.Garge:
Citations in Zabara-BhASya. Poona 1952. - It might be interesting, that
:Zabara, paraphrasing the :VRttikAra ad MS I.1.32 who is referring to
:YAska's Mantra-classification (Nir. 7.1-3) with some modifications, uses
examples for the mantra-classification from TS and VS while :YAska prefers
those from RV. :KumArila did not seem to be aware, that this classification
is derived from :YAska. He sums up the passage as follows (ad MS I.1.32):

vRttau lakSaNam eteSAm asyantatvAntarUpatA/
AzISaH stutisaMkhye ca pralaptaM paridevitam//
praiSAnveSaNapRSTAkhanAnuSaGgaprayogitAH/
sAmarthyaM ceti mantrANAM vistaraH prAyiko mataH//

I hope this is of help
Lars Goehler