Max Muller

Satyanad Kichenassamy kichenas at math.umn.edu
Fri Mar 29 14:33:02 UTC 1996

On Fri, 29 Mar 1996, Dr Kumar wrote:

> Just an addendum to the Tamil proverb-- in Telugu we say,
>
> "poruinTi pullakUra ruci"  -- "The neighbour's sour herb is tastier"
>
> Pratap

[...]
> >Vasudha Narayanan
> >Religion, University of Florida
> >PS Old Tamil Proverb: "He who visits too often needs Maalox"
[...]
> >>the phrase from Max Muller: "He who knows one religion knows none."

This Telugu proverb appears to be related to the Tamil proverb

       akkarai paccai

which means that the other bank (of the river is, or looks) greener (than
your own). This is meant to ridicule the envious mind. It therefore makes
a point somewhat different from the one initially alluded to.

                                Satyanad Kichenassamy
                                School of Mathematics
                                University of Minnesota
                                127 Vincent Hall