A Fatal Bus Accident near Taj Mahal involving "American Professor"

Frank Conlon conlon at u.washington.edu
Thu Mar 28 15:42:15 UTC 1996

With reference to the query below, on the basis of UPI and Reuters reports
accessed at clari.world.asia.india, it appears that a bus crash near
Mathura occurred during the night, the bus going off the road into a ditch
or nullah.  The bus, which was carrying 30 passengers including 27
Americans, was  destined for the city of Agra, presumably commencing in
Delhi.

	A U.S. Embassy spokesman identified the dead as Cherese Laulhere of
Long Beach, Calif., Jennifer Druck of Belmar, Calif., Virginia Amato of
Metairie, La., Sarah Schewe of Amherst, Mass., and John Wilson, who was
identified only as a staff member of the University of Pittsburgh.
	The injured were reported in serious condition at a hospital in Agra.
Although their hometowns were not available, the four were identified as
Heidi Holmes, Kelly Glass, Kevin Kirby and Thomas Broyles, the spokesman
said.
	The university students and faculty members were on the study abroad
program called ``A Semester at Sea,'' and had arrived in India at the
port city of Bombay before coming to New Delhi, the spokesman said.

	 Local news agencies reported that two Indians were also
killed when the bus, carrying about 30 passengers, went into a
ditch on Wednesday night. The embassy spokesman said the Americans were
on a trip organised by the University of Pittsburgh.

Frank Conlon