Temples and shoes

Dr Shivamurthy Swamiji swamiji at giasbg01.vsnl.net.in
Sat Mar 16 00:53:25 UTC 1996

No wonder then that Basavanna who led the great socio-religious movement in Karnataka during 12th century AD remarked in one of his writings (called Vachanas) in Kannada as follows:

hAgada keraha horage kaledu degulake hogi
devarige namaskArava mA.duva bhaktanante
tanna kerahina dhyAnavallade
devara dhyAnavilla no.dA
				-  Basavanna (Vacana 202)

Eng Translation:

A devotee who closes his eyes and
Prostrates before the deity in a temple
Thinks seriously not of God
But of his shoes removed outside the temple!

Thanks to God that the "devotees" are now blessed with the new shoes atleast, while returning from the temple!!

Dr Shivamurthy Swamiji