Hinduja Center at Columbia

Mary McGee mm383 at columbia.edu
Fri Mar 15 14:56:43 UTC 1996

Dear Colleagues,

Recent postings on the Indology network provide an opportunity
for me to tell you more about the goals and undertakings of the
Dharam Hinduja Indic Research Center at Columbia University,
which was inaugurated here in 1994.  I joined the Columbia
University faculty in July of 1995, at which time I assumed the
directorship of the Hinduja Center.  According to the
memorandum of understanding agreed upon by Columbia University
and the donor, the aim of the Center is to study Indian
traditions of knowledge from the Vedas up to modern times and
to promote research of academic excellence relevant to
contemporary issues.  Concurrent with the Center's
establishment,  four working groups were set up to pursue
research centered around particular issues of contemporary
concern: health, science, gender, and conflict management; a
fifth working group has focused on the role of scriptural
authority in various religious communities in India.  The
research of the Center is not limited to these concerns, but
our efforts during the first five years are concentrated on
these particular issues.

Through academic research and teaching, seminars, educational
workshops, publications, and outreach, the Hinduja Center at
Columbia seeks to foster an environment in which research
scholars can pursue the contributions of various Indian
communities to human civilization, while investigating how
those contributions may provide us with a better understanding
of as well as possible strategies for dealing with problems
present in many of our cultures today, such as illness,
violence, and intolerance.  Our activities are not limited to a
focus on one particular body of texts or one particular
religious tradition and the research of scholars involved in
our various projects draws on many resources to advance their
scholarship and our understanding of the pluralism of Indian
traditions.  Much of the Hinduja Center's research is channeled
through its small working groups, which draw together scholars
with shared concerns and enable them to advance their research
collaboratively.

In addition to our research activities and educational outreach
programs, the Hinduja Center funds two faculty positions at
Columbia, one in Sanskrit and one in classical Hinduism, and
also offers one post-doctoral fellowship.  It co-sponsors with
the Columbia University Seminars Program a monthly seminar on
texts and traditions of India and funds a project that is
preparing an on-line catalogue of Indic manuscripts in the
Columbia Library collection.  Announcements about our
conferences and lectures are usually posted on the South Asia
Gopher and sometimes on Indology; summaries of the University
Seminar series are also available on the South Asia Gopher.  We
welcome inquires about our Center and its endeavors; contact us
_directly_ (not via Indology) at dhirc at columbia.edu or at
Dharam Hinduja Indic Research Center, 1102 International
Affairs Building, 420 W. 118th St., Columbia University, New
York, NY 10027.

Mary McGee, Director
Dharam Hinduja Indic Research Center
Columbia University