legal aspects of ancient Indian medicine

Madhav Deshpande mmdesh at umich.edu
Wed Mar 13 14:50:48 UTC 1996

	I am not familiar with the legal position of doctors in ancient
India.  However, a great deal of social information concerning th
position of a Vaidya can be gleaned from several different types of
materials.  For example, the texts like Carakasamhita contain a lot of
material regarding the role of a vaidya in relation to society, perhaps
from the point of view of the medical practitioners, though it also has
a lot of critical material about false practitioners, e.g. chapter 29
of Suutrasthaana in Carakasamhitaa, p. 181ff, ed. by Jadavaji Trikamji
Acharya, Nirnayasagara Press, 1941.  On the other hand,
there are a lot of verses found in the collections of Subhaazitas and
works like the KaliviDambana of NiilakaNTha, and the Deshopadesha and
Narmamaala of Kzemendra which provide us by way of criticism of the
vaidyas an opposite point of view.  Here they are often presented as
cheats who are bloodsuckers.  Consider the following:
	vaidyaraaja namas tubhyam yamaraajasahodara |
	yamas tu harati praaNaan vaidyaH praaNaan dhanaani ca ||
In many parts of India, Vaidya became a caste by itself, and other
Brahmans refused to have marriage relations with them.

		Madhav Deshpande