stereo/sriyantra

gheil at cs.washington.edu gheil at cs.washington.edu
Tue Mar 12 18:00:16 UTC 1996

Michael

>I got an error message when trying this address (copy/pasted
from your post on Indology):

http://www.scn.org/tl/anvil/stereo/sriyantra.html

My apologies. My excuse is i uploaded from windows so the name
was chopped to the (8,3) size. Now corrected. Many thanks for the
early warning.

>Looking forward to seeing it, and forwarding a workable address to my
Buddhist art class,

As long as you are going to have qualified critics look at the
Yantra i have a number of questions i have been looking at and
would appreciate any understanding that develops from their
reviews.

1)	Color. Texts are vague, listing plant names etc. Here are the
choices i made from the outside it:
C	M	Y	K
0	0	0	33
0	20	80	0
0	0	100	0
0	0	100	10
0	0	0	25
0	50	50	0
0	50	50	25
0	0	0	0
60	40	0	0
0	70	30	0
60	40	0	0
50	0	50	0
0	0	100	0
0	70	30	0

Additionally i intend of outline the inner most triangle with red
when i print it. Most people find the yellow almost impossible to
fuse because of its lack of definition.

2)	Construction. I have been making a collection of
constructions, illustrating their steps. So far i have not found
a correct one in publication. By correct i mean simply that there
are the right number of triangles and the figure touches a circle
in the right places.

3)	3D. The literature is even vaguer when it comes to describing
its 3D shape - assuming it truly is a 3D shape. Examples i have
seen are of two kinds. a) like mine are plates stacked atop one
another b) inscribed on spheroids with great circle arcs.

4)	Physical meaning. There is some discussion of Pythagorean
acoustics but not to the point of a definitive description.

-greg