unedited texts meriting attention?

GRUENENDAHL GRUENEN at mail.sub.uni-goettingen.de
Thu Mar 7 15:02:37 UTC 1996

> > The Nepal-German Manuscript
> > Preservation Project has microfilmed practically all these
> > manuscripts. The microfilmed material is enough to keep several
> > generations of scholars busy, and it is available with relative ease.
>
> .. to German nationals only.
>
> I would love to know why this part of the German-Nepalese contract was
> agreed to.  Whose idea was it?
>
> Dominik

I am not in a position to discuss the intricacies of the agreement
that made this project possible. All this is more than 25 years ago,
and I assume, both sides achieved whatever was possible at the time.

Well, it may be easier for German nationals. What D. Wujastyk did
not mention, though, is that everyone, irrespective of nationality,
can apply for microfilms from the National Archives (the former
Durbar Library), Kathmandu. In this way the charge for the copies
directly contributes to the maintenance of the institution that
takes care of the manuscripts. Not such a bad idea after all, is it?
At least I cannot see any harm in that. And it is still relatively
easy going, compared to the obstacles you sometimes have to overcome
in order to get mss. from other parts of the world.

Reinhold Gruenendahl
Niedersaechsische Staats- und Universitaetsbibliothek
37070 Goettingen
Germany
Phone: 0551/395283

GRUENEN at mail.sub.uni-goettingen.de