Khajuraho oops! Indology

Narayan S. Raja raja at galileo.IFA.Hawaii.Edu
Wed Mar 6 22:17:53 UTC 1996

On Wed, 6 Mar 1996 RAJAGOPALANM at HARPO.TNSTATE.EDU wrote:

> As I said before in my posted letters  those figures on the temple do not
> have the purpose of having sexuality as a message. So do not go to khajuraho
> with the hope of a good nice sexy show if that is your intention. As I
> posted earlier the verses on the walls of the temple indicate that the
> temple stands for  the noblest of human values . Some viewers do not want
> the same story repeated again and again . But I could not help it
> since you brought it up. The age old writngs  which started with some westerners
> who gave their interpreyretation about the temple stands for does seem to be
> valid .The  purpose of the temple is well interpreted by its users and
> the hindu literature on temples in general and the writing on the wall in
> particular.   M. Rajagopalan

I get the feeling that you are somewhat
apologetic/defensive about the "sexy"
sculptures at Khajuraho (they are, in
fact, quite sexy -- at least some of them).

As you probably agree, most Hindus (incl.
me, and probably you) are completely
clueless as to what these figures stand
for, and enjoy them on their own terms,
i.e., as "sexy" sculptures.  So what?
Possibly our ancestors were more elevated,
but somehow I doubt it.

I don't see any particular need to bring
in the "noblest of human values" (whatever
they might be) to explain away these sculptures.
Not that sexy sculptures are ignoble, of course.

Cool it, dude.  No need to be prudish.  Such
sculptures, on a smaller scale, are found in
many other ancient Hindu temples.  No problem,
we like them.

All the best,

Narayan Sriranga Raja.