khajuraho

Noel Salmond NSALMOND at arus.ubishops.ca
Wed Mar 6 00:03:56 UTC 1996

There have been oceans of ink spilled trying to explain the erotic
temple carvings of India. To my knowledge, the most serious attempt
in this field remains Devangana Desai, _Erotic Sculptures of India: A
Socio-Cultural Study_ New Delhi: Munshiram Manoharlal, 1975.

Desai reviews explanatory theories of this material and offers her
own analysis. I believe the book is an outcome of her doctoral
dissertation from the University of Bombay.

To my mind, the Khajuraho sculptures are a good example of the
phenomenon which often occurs in art history wherein we lack
explicit textual sources that tell us precisely what the intention of
the visual artists was. Lacking this explicit explanation all we can
do is juxtapose the visual record with texts that appear to be
correlated with it. In terms of explanation sometimes this works,
sometimes it doesn't. Erwin Goodenough demonstrated how the anomolous
figurative frescos on the walls of the 3rd century synagogue of Dura
Europus cannot be explained by reference to the Talmud.

Noel Salmond
Dept. of Religion
Bishop's University