unedited texts meriting attention?

Timothy Lubin lubin at husc.harvard.edu
Mon Mar 4 20:24:04 UTC 1996

Indology being a relatively small field that covers a lot of ground, one
hears of texts that have received scanty attention (or none at all), but
which might be valuable and interesting to the scholarly community were
they to be examined in detail.

I suspect that younger scholars in particular--though not exclusively
they--would be interested to hear from more experienced
researchers suggestions of Sanskrit or other Indian texts in need of editing
and/or translation and analysis, so that more effort could be directed to
untilled ground.  Ideally, a suggestion would also note the potential
value of the text, or the problem on which it could throw light.

If nothing else, the airing of such suggestions would help to indentify
areas of Indian cultural history that remain in shadow, and to indicate
gaps in collective knowledge.  It also seems to me that this would be an
excellent use of the electronic medium's potential for fostering
collegiality and coordinated effort in the international academy.

Timothy Lubin
Lecturer on the Study of Religion
Harvard University