Harvard-Kyoto

falk at zedat.fu-berlin.de falk at zedat.fu-berlin.de
Fri Jun 28 15:11:45 UTC 1996

>  If it worked, and if the
> Harvard-Kyoto transcription is adequate [and if a set of standard keywords
> can be settled upon], perhaps I can venture into the beginnings of a Vedic
> bibliography for Indology.

good idea to initiate a Vedic bibliography - but using the Harvard-
Kyoto transcription would result in a nightmare. Any z in a personal
name or non-Skt term would be converted to /s, Jolly would end up
as ~nolly etc. The usual aa>A conversion gives similar trouble if
you think of Staal or Fujii. It might be advisible to use the Vienna
codes or create something new, but any standard which does not lend
itself to automatic conversion should be banished.
Harry