Etymology

L.M.Fosse at internet.no L.M.Fosse at internet.no
Thu Jun 27 01:23:27 UTC 1996

Re folk etymology vs. academic, historical etymology:

Would it be fair to say that historical etymologies are based on definable
sound laws, whereas folk etymology is based upon association and (imagined)
similarity? If so, there is undoubtedly a "grey zone" between the first
kind of etymology and the latter. And how do we handle ancient words and
concepts that were created by means of folk etymologies? Obviously, such
words cannot be explained by ordinary historical etymologies. In an
historical context, they become starting points of a development rather
than the preliminary end products of a linguistic process. George Thompson
has pointed to a very important question when we are dealing with ancient
language in his latest email on Maatarishvan. When looking for explanations
for religious terms and language, we may sometimes have forego the option
of searching for the historical etymology and instead go looking for the
folk etymology, which may be the operative force begind certain
developments.

Best regards,

Lars Martin Fosse

Dr. art. Lars Martin Fosse