British Views

Sushil Jain sushjain at enoreo.on.ca
Sat Jun 22 21:18:42 UTC 1996

TO: Indology at liverpool.ac.uk.

Those of you who are interested in British Views and Images of the Colonies
(19th century) may also wish to have a look at the following publication:

Periodicals of Queen Victoria's Empire: an exploration, edited by J. Don Vann
and Rosemary T. VanArsdel (University of Toronto Press, 1996).
ISBN 0-8020-0810-0   $80.00

Also, please do not overlook the Western views of Islam (particularly South
Asian Islam). The British generally looked at Muslims and so-called martial
races much more favourably than they did the idol-worshipers and 'heathens'.
I can post a few references if there is any interest in this sub-topic of the
larger picture of British views and images of India.

Conversely, we may also be interested in the indigenous views of the
'mallachhes'. [I'm sorry my server is giving me some trouble... more later]

Sushil Jain
Institute of Asian Cultures