overemphasis on magic

pf at cix.compulink.co.uk pf at cix.compulink.co.uk
Tue Jun 18 11:14:00 UTC 1996

I am amazed which fascination the word 'magic' still holds over our
imagination. In Anthropology 'magic' has unfortunately often been treated
as a thing in itself. This has lead to rather muddled and, I think,
unfruitful debates about the relationship between 'magic' and the various
fields of expertise in our beloved universities. It seems more productive
to investigate the pragmatics of language usage in context without
prejudicing the results by way of labels like 'magic'.Tambiah is
certainly right in stressing that this task 'has still to be completed'.
In fact - it has hardly begun. Unfortunately Tambiah himself never really
investigated speech acts but confined himself to a few programmatic
statements along the lines of Wittgensteinian linguistic philosophy.
Besides: As far as I know 'The' Frankfurt School never dispensed
membership cards. Whether Habermas belongs to this tradition is at least
an open question. Certainly he made a useful contribution to the question
of the normative implications of speech acts. However, his Durkheimian
reconstruction of the genesis of conventions and norms seems questionable.

Peter Fluegel