forehead marks

Frank Conlon conlon at u.washington.edu
Tue Jun 11 19:14:46 UTC 1996

With reference to Vasudha Narayanan's query on tilaka, bindi etc.:

I am afraid I don't have any special insights on this, but wonder
if any of the following would be useful:

Govind S. Gai had a very short contribution "A Note on Tilaka and Kankana"
in N. G. Kalelkar, ed., _Sushil Kumar De Felicitation Volume_  (Poona,
1960) pp. 301-302.

Kamal Giri, _Bharatiya srngara_ (Dilli : Motilala Banarasidasa, 1987)
	vi, 327 p., [52] p. of plates   HINDI
	ancient India, from the earliest times to 7th century.
	LCCN: 87903959 /SA/r88.

Moti Chandra, _Costumes, textiles, cosmetics & coiffure in ancient and
	mediaeval India [by] Moti Chandra. [General editor: S. P Gupta;
        assistant editors: K. N. Dikshit, V. P. Dwivedi, and Shashi
        Asthana.]
	(Delhi, Oriental Publishers on behalf of the Indian Archaeological
	Society, 1973.) xxxii, 248, vi p. illus., 14 plates
	Notes:  "A Dr. Moti Chandra felicitation volume.".
	LCCN:   73905179 /SA.

Priyabala Shah, _Tilaka: Hindu marks on the forehead_ (Ahmedabad: New
	Order Book Co., [1985?]. 91 p.

Frank Conlon
University of Washington
Co-editor of H-ASIA