Abstract Book Review

Swami Satyananda shreemaa at napanet.net
Wed Jun 5 18:13:50 UTC 1996

Dear Fellow Scholars:
		Below is an abstract of a Book Review for the
Chandi Path, recently published by Motilal
Banarsidass in India and Devi Mandir in the US. We
invite your comments.

		Scripture is most highly regarded within
literature because of its capacity to communicate
inspiration and information pertaining to man's
quest for personal transformation. The primary task
of the translator is to communicate the bhava, what
we would call the attitude of awareness or intensity
or debth of feeling, of the original propounders.
		With this understanding, the Chandi Path is a road
map from the confusions of duality into the heart of
divine reality, which in this text is termed as the
Divine Mother. The key to the understanding and
application of this allegory is the interpretation
of the proper names utilized throughout the
scripture.
		The root chand means to tear or to cut, the suffix
i means the female personification of cause, and we
have translated Chandi as the cause of cutting
through duality, She Who Tears Apart Duality, She
Who Tears Apart Thought.
		In the Chandi Path, as we understand it, the
battle which is being fought is not a far-off
history which took place in another time, in another
location. Rather, it is an internal battle which
each of us is facing continually as we perceive
every new set of circumstances, as we encounter
every new form of thought.
		We define dharma as the highest ideal of
perfection, and in every circumstance, in every
action, each of us is striving to manifest that
highest ideal of perfection. Throughout our
experiences in life, continually voices speak up
within us proclaiming that it is possible for us to
do a little bit less than perfection in any given
circumstance. These voices are the thought forms of
asuras, the forces which increase the selfishness of
the individual and lead him or her in the path of
divisive action. The Gods or Devas or Shining Ones
are the forces of unity, which inspire the surrender
of selfishness and expand into cohesive expressions
of divinity.
		The Chandi Path describes the story of how the
Gods unite in prayer to the divine energy of the
universe, in response to which, the Divine Mother
puts Too Much and Too Little into balance, bestows
the wisdom which destroys Self-Conceit and
Self-Deprecation, the armies of the Great Ego
commanded by such generals as Anger, Passion, Greed,
Irresistible Temptation, Arrogance, Blindness,
Foul-Mouth, Memories; and thereafter, ultimately
causes the surrender of the Great Ego, who now
becomes a servant of God. No longer need the Ego
tolerate the burdens of life, but now rejoices in
the privilege of demonstrating pure love through
every action.
		We believe that the spirit of such translations
are in keeping with grammatical authority, and also
are in accordance with the oral traditions of the
Sanskrit Parampara.
		The Chandi Path, ISBN 1-877795-00-3, is published
by Motilal Banarsidass Publishers Private Limited
and Devi Mandir Publications. It is available
through bookstores around the world and through book
distributions such Book People, New Leaf, Baker and
Taylor, etc., or by ordering directly from the Devi
Mandir. The book consists of 425 pages with each
mantra of the text written in the original Devanagri
Sanskrit, a Romanized transliteration, and an
English translation and commentary. The book retails
for $15.00, and we will make it available at
wholesale cost for all members of the Indology list
who may have an interest. Special arrangements can
be made for teachers who may wish to use the book
for class studies.
		We are privileged to invite you into the bhava of
the Devi Mandir Web Site from which we wish to share
with you the melodic voice of Shree Maa's bhajans,
and previews and abstracts of other works which we
have translated, as well as information about the
meaning and method of worship according to the
various Sanskrit traditions.  To visit the Devi
Mandir site or to send us a personal email, please
click here.
http://www.shreemaa.org/

Devi  Mandir
5950 Highway 128
Napa, CA 94558  USA
Communications : Phone and Fax 1-707-966-2802
E-Mail shreemaa at napanet.net