how to reference list discussions

Peter J. Claus pclaus at haywire.csuhayward.edu
Wed Jul 31 18:17:37 UTC 1996

Good Question!  There have been times I have wondered this too. But there
are several sides to this... Is it like "personal communication" or like
a published quote if it is on the LIST itself (rather than just email
correspondence between member)?

Other questions: should we ask the person for his/her permission to quote
off the LIST?  If not, how will it affect the LIST's correspondence to
think that one might be quoted in an article?

If the LIST-quoted portion of an author's a reply to a specific request
for information, and there is a lot of this in a given article, would the
article then be like joint authorship?

I'm sure there are lots of such questions.  I like the idea of using the
list to get information and thought, but I think it does create the
possibility of some new forms of scholarship/writting/authorship that
need to be discussed.

Peter Claus