Vedic Sacrifices

bala at biomechanics.asri.edu bala at biomechanics.asri.edu
Mon Jul 8 19:09:20 UTC 1996

----------

I apologize to the regular users of the list for this question.I know this
forum is mainly for professional Indologists, but realizing that newsgroups
such as soc.culture.indian etc, have a very high noise-to-signal ratio, i am
forced to submit this question here.

With the above caveat, here is my problem. Is it just hearsay that the Vedas
describe a number of animal sacrifices and that Vedic Brahmins were
essentially meat-eaters? And is vegetarianism among present day Brahmins an
aftermath of Buddhism?

I would appreciate if anyone could at least point me to some reliable books
or references that could answer my questions. Thanks in advance.

-Bala Deshpande.

W: ASRI Biomechanics Research Lab              H: 5440 5th ave. #19
   AGH 10th Floor                                 Pittsburgh Pa 15232
   Pittsburgh Pa 15213                            (412) 687.4540
   (412) 359.6815
    bala at biomechanics.asri.edu

...i live for my dreams and a pocket full of gold