Collyrium, Guru Gita verse

unknown at example.com unknown at example.com
Fri Jan 26 14:24:10 UTC 1996

            Re: Collyrium Stick & Guru Gita verse 34

I believe the verse is an analogy. In Tamil Nadu/ South India,
when sthapatis make idols of Hindu Gods from stone or bronze,
they are considered "lifeless" and not fit for worship.
On the Kumbabishekam day, with chanting of mantras, the sthapathis
open the eyes of idols using collyrium stick, injecting life
of a particular mUrthi into that pratimai.

In the Guru Gita verse, the guru is like the sthapati, collyrium
is knowledge, the blind idol is the student before his contact
with the guru.

May be art historians here like Dr. M. Rabe can shed more light.
A recent book is out there. I have not seen it yet.
Jan Brouwer, The makers of the world: caste, craft and mind of South
Indian artisans. Oxford UP, 1995.

Regards,
N. Ganesan
nas_ng at lms461.jsc.nasa.gov