collyrium stick// Guru Gita vs. 34

Narayan S. Raja raja at galileo.IFA.Hawaii.Edu
Fri Jan 26 03:26:24 UTC 1996

On 25 Jan 96 at 18:51, Bridgman at aol.com wrote:
> I have always wondered what a collyrium stick is?  Is it something like the
> philosophers stone?  I have heard references to this stick in Jnaneshwars
> Gita as well.  Is there any one out there who can enlighten me in this?

Nothing mysterious or metaphorical here...

Women in India apply a black substance
called "mai" (in Tamil) or "kaajal"
(in Hindi) around their eye rims as a beauty
aid.  It is also considered medicinal
(though I have heard women occasionally
complain that the "mai" might be
contaminated because it made their eyes
burn).  It is also applied around babies'
eyes.  Lastly, some women also apply it as
a black mole-like "beauty mark" on the cheek.

The black substance is actually applied
around the eyes using a small piece of stick
(e.g., a broken broom twig).  I have also
seen small sticks/rods made of silver for
this purpose.

 On Fri, 26 Jan 1996, Raymond Crawford wrote:

> a bit skeptical, but it does work. The dark ring around the eyes reduces the
> glare of the sun and I was able to see much more clearly, although I did get
> many strange looks from passers-by!

They gave you strange looks because
a male rarely has kaajal applied, unless
he is either (1) a baby, or (2) a "hijraa"
(eunuch or hermaphrodite).

Regards,

Raja.         (gosh! even us ordinary folks
                 can occasionally contribute!)