collyrium stick// Guru Gita vs. 34

Bridgman at aol.com Bridgman at aol.com
Thu Jan 25 16:41:27 UTC 1996

Greetings fellow indologists,
I have been chanting the Guru Gita for about 15 years and have always
wondered what verse # 34 truly means...

It translates:  Salutations to that Shree Guru, by whom with the collyrium
stick of knowledge, the eyes of one who is blinded by the darkness of
ignorance, are opened.

I have always wondered what a collyrium stick is?  Is it something like the
philosophers stone?  I have heard references to this stick in Jnaneshwars
Gita as well.  Is there any one out there who can enlighten me in this?

Another question, does anyone know any details about the celebrations in
Alandi this year in honor of the 700th year since Jnanadev's Mahasamadhi ?

Thank you,

bridgman at aol.com