mailing-lists

David Magier magier at columbia.edu
Wed Jan 24 21:49:57 UTC 1996

> perhaps review the file that came with the subscription you made ot this
> list serve.  it is possible to have a sort of "whole earth listserv" data
> file sent to you.  mind you, it amounts to over 700 pages of
> mind-blurring lists, but you'll probably find your topic--and many others
> you never even knew you needed--in many forms.  it is roughly alphabetized.

The South Asia Gopher
(gopher://gopher.cc.columbia.edu:71/11/clioplus/scholarly/SouthAsia)
has, under the SOUTH ASIANISTS sub-menu, a listing of all South
Asia-related mailing lists and listservs, complete with descriptions
and instructions for each. The entry for VYAKARAN follows below.

David Magier (The South Asia Gopher)
Columbia University

linguistics!

This list was started in October 1995 as an informal forum for all who are
interested in the languages of South Asia, both modern and classical.

The aim of this list is to further discussion among interested scholars in
ALL aspects of South Asian languages, primarily but not only Indo-Aryan
languages. Thus comments and questions on everything from historical
linguistics to the modern Indo-Aryan languages, from socio-linguistics to
morphology and syntax, from phonology and diglossia to Panini and the
Hindi-Urdu question are welcome, just to name a few.

Right now, all mailings are being done by hand, so it will sometimes take
two or three days for postings to be sent out. All you have to do to join
is send a message with the subject: VYAKARAN to

                      gor05 at rz.uni-kiel.d400.de

with the message:

subscribe VYAKARAN firstname_lastname, email at address

and that's it! Within a few days you should receive confirmation of your
subscription along with the week's postings.

To send a message to everyone on the list, just send your message to the
email-address above with a short message of the contents in the subject
line. Within a day or two everyone on the list will get a copy of it.
That's all there is to it! As all mailings are now being done by hand,
please include the word 'vykaran' in the subject, so that I'll know it's
for the list and not for me, as I'm using my own mailbox at the moment. For
example: 'vyakaran: tense and aspect', etc.

To quit the list at any time, just send a short note to the email address
above.

Within the next few weeks, I expect that the list will end up with a new
address, and will be fully automatic, but until further notice,
<gor05 at rz.uni-kiel.d400.de> is it.

As I am very new to this sort of thing, I'd greatly appreciate any tips
any of you in the list could share with me to make the list operate a little
better. However, have no fear, I'm told that within 4 or 5 weeks we should be
'automatic'.

If you have any questions, feel free to write to me at the following
address:

gor05 at rz.uni-kiel.d400.de

SVAGATAM!

John Peterson,