Update on home for the Pali Canon

mhcrxlc at dir.mcc.ac.uk mhcrxlc at dir.mcc.ac.uk
Fri Jan 19 20:44:57 UTC 1996

Following on from the postings about this late last year, listreaders may
wish to hear the current state of play.

It is planned to place a copy of the complete Pali Canon in the Ceylon BJT
edition on the Net as public domain data. Initially, it will be posted on
the U.S. and U.K. websites for the JBE and funnelled from there to other
locations (Indology, Library of Congress and probably Coombsarchives). PTS
page references have been added for the Vinaya and the first four Nikaayas;
others will be added later. The texts of Nett, Pe.t and Mil are also
included.

There are still many errors in the data and it is undoubtedly generous of
IBRIC to make it available in this preliminary stage. Someone will
certainly criticize it ! N'atthi loke anindito.  It is hoped that corrected
versions will be posted at intervals and funnelled in the same way from the
JBE sites.

Currently, a Syquest cartridge, hopefully containing the complete set of
data has been received in the U.K. (Manchester). Unfortunately, a delay has
been caused by the fact that it has proved unexpectedly difficult to find a
drive to read Syquest 270M cartridges. (My error, I'm afraid.) In any case,
this should be sorted out in early February at the latest and the data
could be on the JBE sites later that month, if not before.

(If there are any U.K. readers who know of such a drive in the North-West,
please let me know and we might be able to speed up this timetable.)

Lance Cousins

MANCHESTER, UK
Email: mhcrxlc at dir.mcc.ac.uk