references?

Hertaldis M G Offermann offerman at cc.helsinki.fi
Tue Jan 2 05:23:42 UTC 1996

I'm a student of ethnomusicology and indology and I'm doing my research
on the North Indian sarangi (a musical instrument) and it's social role
in Hindustani music.

For the moment I have still very few references about this subject.

I would very much appreciate it if someone could provide me some references
to the following questions:

1. different courts and the courtlife in North India and social history
of North India from 16th to the 20th century

2. Castes of musicians, does vocalists, soloista and accompanists have
their own caste?

3. The life of courtesans and their musicians

4. Concept of tradition in Indian music (gharana, guru-shishya parampara etc)

5. Kota-culture, musicians, dancer, prostitutes etc.

6. Why have accompanists low social status in the music community, like
tabla and sarangi in Hindustani music?

Thank you already now for your help

Hertaldis Offermann
offerman at cc.helsinki.fi