Mahabharata reference

B. Hatcher bhatcher at titan.iwu.edu
Thu Feb 29 21:17:06 UTC 1996

Jim Fitzgerald seems to have provided an excellent answer to the original
query.  It does appear that van Buitenen missed something.  'Compassion'
doesn't belong in the list, rather its opposite.  Not having a Sanskrit
edition of the MBh, I checked Kaliprasanna Sinha's massive Bengali
translation done with the assistance of numerous pandits.  His list reads:

kaama, krodha, lobha, moha, vidhitsaa [atrpti], *nirdayataa*, asuuyaa,
maana, shoka, sprhaa, iirs.aa, jugupsaa.
					[Udyogaparvan 42; vol. 1,  p. 733]

Brian Hatcher
Illinois Wesleyan University