Mahabharata reference

phijag at cobra.nus.sg phijag at cobra.nus.sg
Thu Feb 29 01:42:20 UTC 1996

On page 288 of book 5 (5(52)43.7-10 of Van Buitenen's Mahabharata, he lits
the 12 vices as: anger, desire, greed, delusion, possessiveness,
compassion, discontentment, pride, grief, lust, jealousy, and abhorence.
Would anyone be able to tell me whether "compassion" is really one of the
twelve and if so, what is the sanskrit word it is a translation of? I do
not have a copy here of the Mahabharata in Sanskrit and thus my request.

I would greatly any information I may receive on this. Thank you.
John

---
John Grimes, Dept of Philosophy, NUS