Khajuraho

ACHARB at MSUVX1.MEMPHIS.EDU ACHARB at MSUVX1.MEMPHIS.EDU
Wed Feb 28 18:27:59 UTC 1996

Dear Amita Sarin:
The question as to what Khajuraho stands for is very
welcome.  It is especially so when there are many wrong
articles published about Khajuraho in books,magazines and on
the internet, describing Khajuraho as erotic or sexual in
nature and that is what it stands for.
If you are a Hindu, you would easily see that  Hindu culture
did not encourage bestility and sexual displays in public.
Generally Hindus are not seen exhibiting vulgar sex
movements in public.   Then
, how can a temple , which is the
center which emanates Hindu teachings stand for being
erotic?  It does not make sense.  People who say that
Khajuraho is erotic and bestile should give more thought to
your well founded question
Khajuraho is a representation of the noblest and highest
levels of principles of man. How do we know this?This we
know by
(1) reading what is inscribed on the walls of Khajuraho..
(2) asking the priests and other learned persons  who were
involved with
Khajuraho in the past or, their
descendents about what was handed down to them by their
ancestors at Khajuraho.
I (Rajagopalan) have talked with people living there.  There
is no indication of group sex or bestility in that society.
The following verse is carved in Khajuraho:
VinayA shobhate vidyA
kulam shIlena shobhate
nItyaiva shobhate rAjyaM
pAnirdAnena shobhate.

This means "The sign of a well educated person is humility.
The sign of a good community is the character
 of its members
(which implies that the members be not sexy or promiscuous).
A good government is that that gives justice to its people.
The hand shines when it is charitable and helps others.That
is the true significance of Khajuraho.
Sincerely yours- M. Rajagopalan
(rajagopalanm at harpo.tnstate.edu )
and B. N. Narahari Achar(acharb at cc.memphis.edu)